Delectable Coconut Shrimp with Dipping Sauce
Our Delectable Coconut Shrimp recipe is a real crowd-pleaser. It's made with our Inspiration Bakery and Mixes Crispy Batter Mix. And here's a coconut shrimp story from our founder, Debbie: "My sister introduced me to Delectable Coconut Shrimp about 20 years ago, one night when we decided to go out for dinner. We were at a restaurant in Bend, Oregon. She saw Coconut Shrimp on the appetizer list and ordered it with a salad. I had never had them before and. since I love coconut and shrimp, it seemed like a great idea to order the same thing..Needless to say, I was in heaven. I tried them without the dipping sauce and with the dipping sauce. It was amazing either way, but I really liked the tanginess of the sweet chili sauce and apricot flavors. So when I make these delectable shrimp treats, I always serve them with the dipping sauce."
- Deep Fryer or Air Fryer
- Dry Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Liquid Measuring Cup
- MIxing Bowls (2)
- Large Plates (2) or Round Cake Pans (2)
- Tongs or Slotted Spoon (if needed for removing shrimp from deep fryer)
- Spray oil (if you are using an air fryer)
- Baking Sheet
- Paper Towels (for draining shrimp on the baking sheet once fried)
- 1 Pouch Inspiration Bakery and Mixes Crispy Batter Mix
- 1 Cup Club Soda
- 1 Egg (if you want crispier batter)
- 1-1 1/2 Pounds Shrimp (large, pre-cooked, about 20-25 shrimp, deveined, and with tails on)
- 2 Cups Coconut Flakes (fine, shredded, sweetened)
- Coconut Oil or Oil of Your Choice (for deep fryer)
- 1/4 Cup Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Apricot Preserves
Prepare Coconut Shrimp
- If your precooked shrimp are frozen in a plastic bag, thaw them overnight in your refrigerator or bathe the bag in cold water until thawed.
- When shrimp are ready, preheat your oven to 200° F. Cover your baking sheet with paper towels and place it in the oven to keep your Delectable Coconut Shrimp warm until served
- Study and follow your Deep Fryer Instructions if using that method. Heat to 350-365° F. Using this method, you should expect to fry each shrimp until golden brown (about 4 minutes) and to turn the shrimp over once if needed.
- Study and follow Air Fryer Instructions if using that method. After you have battered your shrimp following the instructions below, generously spray both sides of the shrimp with oil spray and then cook at 400° F for about 8 minutes. Flip the shrimp halfway (about 4 minutes) through the fry.
- In a mixing bowl, follow the instructions on your Inspiration Bakery and Mixes Crispy Batter Mix to blend one cup of mix with club soda. Once that's blended, add the egg if you are using one. Wisk again until well-blended. Set aside for at least five minutes.
- Put the coconut shreds on a large plate or in a round cake pan.
- Put the remaining dry Crispy Batter Mix on another large plate or in a round cake pan.
- Roll each shrimp in the dry mix and then dip it in the wet mixture. Gently shale off any excess wet mixture.
- Roll each shrimp in the coconut shreds and place in your fryer.
- Once fried, put your Delectable Coconut Shrimp on the baking sheet covered with paper towels. Turn your oven off to prevent the shrimp from continuing to cook. Do not leave the coconut shrimp in your oven for more than 15 minutes.
- Note: once you have fried all of your coconut shrimp, throw away any leftover wet and dry mix, including the coconut shreds.
- In a small bowl, thoroughly blend your sweet chili sauce and apricot preserves. Serve on the side in one bowl or individual ones for each dipper:)
- Serve your Delectable Coconut Shrimp hot and tasty, ready to dip (or not). Yummm!