Cinnamon Date (or Fig) Bars
Inspiration Bakery and Mixes Founder, Debbie, has a real flair for creating Gluten-Free delicious desserts and tempting treats. These Cinnamon Date (or Fig) Bars are both dessert and a treat...delicious and soft! And...even better...you can make them quite easily:)
- Stove with Oven
- Stand Mixer
- Bowls (2)
- Dry Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Liquid Measuring Cup
- Sauce Pan
- 9" Square Baking Dish
- Plastic Cling Wrap
- 8 Oz Pitted Dates or Figs about 1 packed cup
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 3/4 Cup Inspiration Bakery and Mixes All-Purpose Baking Mix
- 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Butter (softened)
- 1 Egg
Dough and Bake Options
- 1 3/4 Cup Inspiration Bakery and Mixes Versatile Cookie Mix instead of All-Purpose Baking Mix
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Milk of Your Choice to brush on top of the dough before sprinkling sugar
- 3/4 Cup Fig Jam or Date Paste
- 1/4 Cup Othe Jams or Jellies (added to 1/2 cup dates or figs)
- 2 Tablespoons Fermented Crushed Ginger (added to the filling mixture)
- 3/4 Cup Any Jam or Jelly such as Apple Butter
- Combine Inspiration Bakery and Mixes All-Purpose Baking Mix, baking powder, and cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat in 3/4 cup sugar with butter till combined. Add egg and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla to the date or fig mixture and blend for about 30 seconds. Add the flour mixture from the first step and beat on medium until combined with other ingredients and it forms your dough.
- Wrap and chill the dough for several hours till somewhat firm. Remove from refrigerator.
Prepare Fruit Mixture
- While refrigerating your dough, combine dates or figs, 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar, and 1/2 cup water in a saucepan. Simmer until the fruit is soft, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Cool until ready to use. You do not need to refrigerate or cover the saucepan.
- Substitutes and AdditionsYou might:Use 3/4 cup prepared Fig Jam or Date Paste instead of preparing the filling shown aboveOR combine Fig or Dates with other Jams or Jelly’s while keeping the Fig or Dates at ½ cup and adding ¼ cup of any other jam or jelly. Blend well.OR add 2 tablespoons of fermented crushed ginger after cooking the fruit or if using prepared figs or date jamOR omit fig or dates, and just use a jam or jelly, keeping the amount at ¾ cup. Apple Butter would work well with this recipe.
Bake Your Bars
- Pre-heat your oven to 350° F
- Remove your dough from the refrigerator. Divide the dough in half. Roll each half out between 2 pieces of plastic cling wrap (if the dough sticks sprinkle with tapioca flour on both sides). Roll dough out into two (2) 9“ squares to match the size of your baking dish.
- Butter or spray your baking dish with oil. Place the first dough square in the bottom of your 9” baking dish and cover it with the fruit mixture. Place the second dough square on top and press the edges with your fingers or use a fork to seal the edges. Use a knife to cut vents into the top of the dough.
- Brush the top of the dough with milk (if you select this option) and sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar.
- Put your Cinnamon Date (or Fig) Bars in your oven and bake for 40 minutes (check after 20 minutes).
- Cool and cut into squares. Yummm!