"Brookies!" (Brownie and Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars)
Combining brownies and chocolate chip cookies will surely win hearts! Inspiration Bakery and Mixes Co-Owner, Cheryl, was doing a “staycation” in March 2020 when she figured out how to make gluten-free “Brookies” from our Versatile Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix and Fudgy Brownie Mix.Cheryl's baking meant that the scent of brownies AND cookies filled the house during the last 10 minutes of baking. Cheryl made two batches as a way to use up mixes; however, you could always bake a batch of brownies and later bake a small batch of cookies.
- Hand or Stand Mixer
- Dry Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Liquid Measuring Cup
- 9"-by-13" Cake Pan
- Bowls (4)
- Sauce Pan
- Parchment Paper
- Aluminum Foil
- Cutting Board
- 1/2 package Inspiration Bakery and Mixes Brownie Mix
- 4 Ounces Unsalted Butter
- 3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 Whole Eggs
- 1/2 Package Inspiration Bakery and Mixes Versatile Cookie Mix
- 1 Stick Unsalted Butter + 2 Tablespoons (at room temp)
- 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 6 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Large Egg
- 6 Oz Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
- Set the oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a 13x9x2-inch pan with parchment paper (bring the parchment up the sides of the pan so there is a slight overhang) and grease with butter or nonstick cooking spray. Coconut spray adds subtle flavoring to the Brookies. You can also use foil but Cheryl prefers parchment paper because it allows you to pull the Brookies out as an entire slab when cooled.
- Make Brownie Batter
- Melt butter and sugar together on the stove. Remove the mixture from the heat. You can also use the microwave to melt the butter; just remove it from the microwave before adding the sugar. Don’t worry about not melting in the sugar. It works both ways.
- Add vanilla and 1¾ cup or 9.5 ounces of Inspiration Bakery and Mixes Chocolate Cake Mix, which is a little more than half of a bag. Stir until well-blended. Add the eggs and vigorously stir 30 times by hand or blend with a hand mixer on medium-low for about 1 minute. Spread the mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Set aside.
- Make Cookie Dough
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle or beaters, beat the butter and both sugars for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as necessary.
- Add the vanilla and egg and beat for 1 minute more. Scrape down the sides of the bowl again. Add 1 1/3 cups or 6.5 ounces of Inspiration Bakery and Mixes Versatile Cookie Mix (half of the box) slowly into the creamed mixture until well blended. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Merge Batter and Dough Into Brookies
- Drop small spoonfuls of the cookie dough evenly over the brownie batter (no need to spread it out or press it down). Transfer the pan to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Bake Brookies
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. The parchment paper may make it difficult to cinch down the foil, but that’s okay, it just needs to cover the surface of the pan. Remove the foil and continue baking until the brownie edges are shiny and the cookie portion is golden brown, about 15-20 minutes more.
- To cut, lift the Brookies out of the pan using the parchment overhang and transfer them to a cutting board. Pull the parchment away from the edges. Making sure you have placed the Brookies and parchment paper on a durable cutting surface, use a sharp knife to cut the Brookies into 2-inch squares. Munch them quickly before they disappear!
Enjoy! These squares keep well in the freezer.