Ice Cream Sandwiches
Making gluten-free and dairy-free ice cream sandwiches is pretty simple starting with Inspiration Bakery & Mixes All-Purpose Baking Mix. First, you make our Chocolate Krinkle Cookies and then transform them into delicious Ice Cream Sandwiches. Our Chocolate Krinkle Cookies are easy to make and great to eat by themselves. The recipe makes 24 3-inch cookies. You won’t be able to resist eating a few before turning them into ice cream sandwiches. There are a few things to remember: the cookies when cooled should not be soft; and when the ice cream is placed between two cookies and placed in the freezer, the ice cream softens the cookie. Also, be sure your cookies are done and left out to cool at least an hour before adding the ice cream filling. And allow time to freeze the ice cream sandwiches overnight before serving.This recipe along with 100 other recipes is found in Debbie’s cookbook, Gluten-Free Meals Mix and Match. Proceeds go to the Autism Treatment Center of America for scholarships like the one Sean, our inspiration for Inspiration Bakery and Mixes, received for a great in-home program for autistic children and adults.
- Stand Mixer (with paddle attachment)
- Bowl for mixing dry ingredients
- Small bowl for powdered sugar
- Rubber Spatula
- Spatula to remove cookies from baking pan
- Ice cream scoop
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 2 large baking pans
- Wire Whisk
- 12 sandwich bags
Chocolate Krinkle Cookies
- 1 ¼ cup Inspiration Bakery and Mixes All-Purpose Baking Mix 208g
- ⅓ cup sweet white rice flour (not rice flour) Other names are Glutinous Rice Flour, Mochiko 43g
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder double acting
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons dark cocoa powder
- Flax seed Meal equal to 2 eggs Follow directions. Prepare before adding to the rest of the ingredients
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons softened margarine
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- powdered sugar to roll the cookie dough in
- ½ gallon of your favorite ice cream
Prepare Chocolate Krinkle Cookie's
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F
- Line both baking pans with parchment paper (do not grease)
- In a bowl, mix with a wire whisk Inspiration Bakery and Mixes All-Purpose Baking mix, sweet white rice flour, baking soda, baking powder, and dark cocoa powder, set aside.
- Place flax seed mixture in a mixing bowl with margarine, packed brown sugar, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract. Cream together on medium. Scrape the bowl at least one time.
- Add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl and mix on medium-high until well blended scraping the bowl at least one time. The dough is thick.
- Form 24 one-inch balls. Roll each into powdered sugar and place on a cookie sheet two inches apart. Slightly flatten the cookie balls. The cookies will spread out.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. They will still look a little soft in the middle and will continue to bake while cooling. Don’t overbake.
- Remove from the oven. Let the cookies rest for several minutes before removing them to a cooling rack.
- Completely cool for around an hour before building the ice cream sandwiches.
Building the Ice Cream Sandwich
- The trick to making the ice cream sandwich is to move quickly enough so the ice cream does not melt too much. It will be soft, which helps when pushing the two cookies together.
- Place 12 cookies on a baking sheet with the bottom side turned up. Use an ice cream scoop and fill each cookie. Place another cookie on top and press down.
- Place each ice cream sandwich into a sandwich bag. It is recommended that you keep the ice cream sandwiches on a pan that will fit in your freezer, so they do not slide around.
- Freeze overnight. Remove from the freezer and serve immediately. The ice cream sandwiches will last around 3 months frozen.
Options: You may want to roll the ice cream sandwich into mini chocolate chips, crushed nuts, sparkles, etc. before placing them in a sandwich bag.