Dairy-Free Hamburger Buns and Dinner Rolls (with Vegan option)
This is a quick-and-easy hamburger bun recipe. The hamburger buns can be used with sloppy joes, meat or vegan hamburgers, or as great hoagie rolls for sandwiches or hot dogs. It really depends on how you want to shape the buns. Our advice is to toast or grill buns before you eat them. We find that it adds lots of flavor and that outdoor barbecue feel when diving into a juicy burger. With this recipe, you can also make smaller dinner rolls. Instead of flattening the dough balls, leave them round. Remove from the oven and try one while warm and slathered with butter or margarine. Oh, so good!
- 1 Stand Mixer (with paddle attachment)
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 1 Rubber Spatula
- 1 Large Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- 1 Medium size bowl
- 1 Wire Whisk
- 1 Pastry Brush
Hamburger Bun Dough
- 1 box Inspiration Bakery and Mixes Pizza Crust Mix 454g
- 2 tablespoons yeast or 2 packets rapid rise yeast
- 1 tablespoon baking powder double acting non-aluminum
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 egg whites or ⅓ cup applesauce
- Oil to handle the dough Olive oil is best to use
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder option
- ½ teaspoon Italian spices
Making the Bread Dough
- Use a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Pre-heat oven to 200°F. Turn off when temperature is reached.
- With a wire whisk, combine yeast, sugar, baking powder, spices if used and Inspiration Bakery and Mixes Pizza Crust Mix together. Set aside.
- Place all the wet ingredients together in the mixing bowl. Mix on low until combined, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and blend on low for about 30 seconds. Scrape bowl and turn on medium high for 2 minutes scraping the bowl at least one time.
- Cover your hands with oil and scoop out one dough ball. Roll it around into a ball and place on the parchment covered baking sheet. Leave enough room between the buns to flatten them out to about 4 ½ inches. Repeat for the other dough balls. Gently pat the dough balls down to make even looking buns. Try not to leave finger prints on the top.
- Use the pastry brush with olive oil to smooth out the tops and sides of the dough. Cover loosely with plastic wrap to prevent the dough from drying out while proofing and to prevent to the dough from splitting. Place in the warm oven and let rise for 20-25 minutes. They do not need to double in size.
- Remove buns from the oven. Pre-heat oven to 450° F. Once temperature is reached, remove the plastic wrap, and place the buns in the oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Do not over brown. Remove pan from the oven and brush with butter or margarine. Place pan on a wire rack and cool till room temperature. About 20 minutes.
- Slice buns in half when you are ready to serve. Store on the counter or refrigerator in a plastic bag for several days. You can also place each bun in a baggie, place them in a freezer bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before using.