Delicious Apple Cobbler with Pie-Crust Topping
I bet you realized this, too. Most apple cobbler recipes don't seem to put in enough apples! It’s like making an apple pie without enough filling. It's not enough to just love the crust. We are always looking for a good balance between the crust or topping and the fruit.Well here's an Inspiration Bakery and Mixes Delicious Apple Cobbler recipe that strikes that balance. Plenty of apples and a great crust!Yup, plenty of apples and brown sugar to give it a sort of caramel flavor, and adding a little nutmeg for that old time taste you remember from traditional apple pies. You can prepare this Delicious Apple Cobbler ahead of time and bake it when you are ready. You prepare all the ingredients up to the point of baking, then refrigerate for up to 3 days after covering the cobbler with plastic cling wrap. Or, if you wish, you can freeze it up to 3 months. When freezing, make sure you cover the cobbler with plastic cling wrap first, then with aluminum foil. Let it defrost in the refrigerator overnight before baking.
- Dry Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Liquid Measuring Cup
- 9" by 9" Baking Pan
- Spray Oil
- MIxing Bowls (2)
- Wire Whisk
- Spoon (large)
- Plastic Cling Wrap
- Rolling Pin or Glass Bottle (if rolling out the pie crust topping)
- 6 Apples (medium, golden delicious, fuji, or granny smith)
- 1 Cup Apple Juice or Water
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar (packed)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Cornstarch or Instant Tapioca Pudding
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon (ground)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg (ground)
- Butter or Margarine (to dot on top)
Pie Dough Topping
- 1 Bag Inspiration Bakery and Mixes Pie Crust Mix
- 2/3 Cup Butter or Margarine (refrigerate until used)
- 1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream or Milk of Your Choice
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon (ground)
- 1 Tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Whipped Cream or Whipped Cream Substitute
- Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- Grease your 9" by 9" baking pan lightly with spray oil.
- Mix your brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cornstarch or Instant Tapioca Pudding together and set aside.
- Pour your apple juice or water into your saucepan. Add the dry ingredients you just prepared and stir everything until well-blended. Add the apples. Over medium heat, cook the apple mixture for 3-5 minutes. Stir often.
- Pour the apple mixture into your greased pan.
- Dot the surface with butter or margarine.
Pie Dough Topping
- Put your Inspiration Bakery and Mixes Pie Crust Mix in a mixing bowl.
- Remove your butter or margarine from the refrigerator and, using a sharp knife, cut it into tiny cubes and add them to the dry mix.
- Using a pastry cutter or fork, blend the pie crust mix and butter or margarine together until the mixture forms pea-sized pieces. Do not mix vigorously because you want the mixture to be crumbly.
- In a small bowl, whisk the heavy whipping cream or milk of your choice, egg, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract together.
- Pour the wet mixture over the pie crust mixture and gently stir until wet. DO NOT STIR VIGOROUSLY because you want the pea-sized pieces to persist.
- Blend your cinnamon-sugar sprinkle mixture and set aside.
- Use a teaspoon to scoop out dollops of pie-crust mixture and drop them on top of the apple mixture in a random patter, well-distributed. Use all the pie-crust mixture. Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture over the dough dollops.
- Option: roll out the pie-dough mixture between two pieces of plastic cling wrap. Then us a knife to cut the dough into 1-inch strips and place the strips over the apple mixture to form a top that looks more like a traditional pie. Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture over the pie-dough strips
- Put your Delicious Apple Cobbler in the oven and bake for 38-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the topping comes out clean.
- Remove the Delicious Apple Cobbler from the oven and allow it to cool for at least 15 minutes before serving. Serve it warm with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, cheddar cheese, or another delicious topping.