Chewy Oatmeal Cookies
This Chewy Oatmeal Cookies recipe comes with each box of the Inspiration Bakery and Mixes Versatile Cookie Mix. Really, who doesn't love oatmeal cookies? And gluten-free ones even more, right? Maybe with a few raisins or craisins, nuts, or chocolate chips blended in for some interesting flavors?We also use this mix to make Always-Delectable Chocolate Chip Cookies and Jelly-Filled Cookies (see elsewhere under this recipes tab). This Chewy Oatmeal Cookies recipe can also be made vegan and that option is shown in the instructions below.
- Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer
- MIxing Bowls (2)
- Baking or Cookie Sheet
- Spray Oil
- Wire Rack
Chewy Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 1/2 Cups Inspiration Bakery and Mixes Versatile Cookie Mix
- 3 Cups Gluten-free Oats (uncooked, old-fashioned style)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 3/4 Cup Butter or Margarine, or Shortening
- 1 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar (lightly packed)
- 1 Egg or Vegan Option
- Vegan Option: flaxseed or commercial egg replacer
- 1/3 Cup Milk, Rice Milk, or Coconut Milk
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Preheat your oven to 375° F.
- Lightly grease or oil your cookie or baking sheet.
- Using a mixing bowl, blend your cookie mix, oats, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and set aside.
- Vegan Egg Substitute: follow the instructions on your egg-replacer package. Or, if using flaxseed, measure out 1 tablespoon flaxseed and 3 tablespoons water. Grind the flax seeds into a fine powder. If you have pre-ground flaxseed, 3/4 tablespoon should work. Combine the flaxseed and water and then whisk until the mixture becomes gelatinous. Substitute for the eggs in the next step.
- Put your butter/margarine or shortening, brown sugar, egg or egg substitute, milk, and vanilla extract into a large mixing bowl. Beat on medium until well-blended.
- Gradually mix your dry ingredients into the wet mixture until well-blended. By hand, stir in raisins or craisins, chocolate chips, or nuts if desired.
- Drop rounded teaspoons of cookie dough 2 inches apart onto your ungreased cookie sheet. Cookies may be made larger by using a larger spoon such as a tablespoon but remember to leave more space between them to allow for expansion while they bake.
- Put your cookie sheet in the oven and bake your cookies for 10-12 minutes, until lightly brown.
- Remove your Chewy Oatmeal Cookies from the oven and let them rest for two minutes. Then, using your spatula, move the cookies from your baking sheet to a wire rack to finish cooling. You can definitely eat 'em warm!