This Spicy Calzones recipe comes with each box of the Inspiration Bakery and Mixes Pizza Crust Mix. We also use this mix to make Pizza Crusts and French Bread (see elsewhere under this recipes tab). This Spicy Calzones recipe can be made vegan and that option is shown in the instructions below.
- Stove with Oven
- Stand Mixer
- MIxing Bowls (2)
- Dry Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Liquid Measuring Cup
- Plastic Cling Wrap
- Baking Sheet
- Rolling Pin (or Glass Bottle)
- Spray Oil
- Cheese grater
- Pastry Brush (for egg wash if you want to apply)
- 1 Box Inspiration Bakery and Mixes Pizza Crust Mix
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
- 2 Tablespoons Active Dry Yeast (or 2 packets Rapid Rise Yeast)
- 3 Tablespoons Palm Oil Shortening
- 4 Egg Whites or Vegan Option
- Vegan Option: flaxseed or commercial egg replacer
- Butter or Margarine (softened)
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Sweet Basil
- Other spices you might like such as red pepper flakes
- 1/2 Cup Cottage or Ricotta Cheese or Vegan Substitute
- 1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese (grated) or Vegan Substitute
- 1/2 Jar Spaghetti Sauce (prepared, your choice)
- 6 Oz Tomato Paste
- 1 Cup Spinach (fresh, chopped)
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Mushrooms (chopped)
- 1 Small Can Olives (chopped)
- 1/2 Pound Sausage (cooked, drained) or Vegan Substitute
Egg Wash (Optional)
- 3 Egg Whites
- 1 Tablespoon Water
Prepare Calzone Dough
- In a bowl, blend your Inspiration Bakery and Mixes Pizza Crust Mix with your dry yeast and set aside.
- Melt your shortening in 1 1/2 cups of warm water, add your spices, and pour into the dry mixture. Blend until the pizza dough reaches a consistent texture.
- Vegan Egg Substitute: follow the instructions on your egg-replacer package. Or, if using flaxseed, measure out 4 tablespoons flaxseed and 12 tablespoons water. Grind the flax seeds into a fine powder. If you have pre-ground flaxseed, 3 1/2 tablespoons should work. Combine the flaxseed and water and then whisk until the mixture becomes gelatinous. Substitute for the eggs in the next step.
- Add the egg whites or vegan substitute and, using your stand mixer, beat on medium-high for 2-4 minutes.
- Leave the dough in 1 piece or divide it into 2 or 4 pieces depending on how many calzones you wish to make.
- Using your rolling pin (or glass bottle), roll your dough balls out into circles, using plastic cling wrap under and over the dough. f needed, dust the plastic wrap and dough lightly with tapioca flour to prevent excessive sticking.
- Oil your baking sheet. Place your dough circles on the baking sheet. Cover with plastic cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Prepare Calzone Sauce
- Combine the spaghetti sauce and tomato paste.
- Add the spinach, mushrooms, olives, and sausage (or substitute). Blend and set aside. The sauce should be fairly stiff and not runny.
Prepare Cheese Filling or Vegan Substitute
- Gently mix together your cottage or ricotta cheeses with your grated mozzarella cheese until you have a consistent blend
Bake Your Calzones
- Remove your baking sheet with the dough circles on it from your refrigerator. Scoop calzone sauce off the center of each dough circle being careful to not let any run over the edges. Add your cheese mixture to the sauced area.
- Using your spatula, fold the dough half mostly not covered with sauce and cheese over the sauce-covered one. Crimp the edges shut.
- As an option, brush the calzone tops with the egg wash.
- Put the baking sheet in the oven and bake your Spicy Calzones for 15-20 minutes, until the crust is browned. Serve hot.